Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Adventures in St. Louis!

The adventures did not end after we left Costa Rica! We were on our way to St. Louis, Missouri for a week with my new family, the Medleys. My in-laws, Laurie and Gary, threw Ben and me a party to welcome us to their BIG family. Laurie is one of 8 children and Gary is one of 9, and MOST of them came with their children and spouses! There were probably close to 70 people! If you invited my immediate family over, you'd maybe get 20 total! I hate to admit that I don't remember everyone's names, but I guess that's okay because even Ben doesn't remember all their names...lol. I tried my best to remember Laurie and Gary's siblings names but it might be hard to remember their spouses, children and their children! Ben also has a set of grandparents who are still alive and they were there. It made me think of my own Grandmother who is living but not doing so well. She wasn't able to make it to the wedding, so Ben and I went up to see her in December around Christmas time.


Ben and I at the Museum of Westward Expansion (inside the Arch)


View of the court house where the Dred Scott case took place (view from the Arch)




In the elevator of the arch!




The party wasn't the only fun thing we did in St. Louis. We also went to the St. Louis arch and the zoo (which was WAY more awesome than the LA Zoo). We also went golfing with Ben's parents where I teamed up with Gary and Ben teamed up with his mom. It was my first time EVER golfing (well, real golf...I'd mini-golfed before). I was surprised that I actually found it kind of fun even though I wasn't very good. They assured me that it was good that I was able to even connect with the ball even though I couldn't drive it very far or get it where I wanted it to go...lol. I had fun, so I guess that's all that matters! I'd do it again, but golfing is one freaking expensive sport! Maybe it'll be a Missouri tradition with Ben's parents!



At the zoo, visiting the penguins!







On the second night we were in Missouri, we also had a spectacular fireworks show where we had a perfect view from his parent's backyard!!




The day after the party, we all went to Gary's farm which is about 3 hours north of their house. We stayed with his parents as well as Ben's sister's family. There we fished, hung out, ate lots of good home cookin, and made smores. The boys, Logan and Landon, learned how to shoot a real gun for the first time (under strict supervision from some great marksmen, Ben, Gary,and Scott!). We also had a fun fireworks show.


Ben's grandparents






When we returned back to St. Louis, it was the 4th of July. Ben and I took his parents to the Cardinals game that night and had a trip to Ted Drews, the famous cold custard place!

The following morning we were off to go back home. We had a wonderful time...Laurie made me feel so welcome by putting up wedding photos and putting our favorite snacks in our room, getting toiletries she knew I used (she remembered from visiting us in May), and just being so sweet to us. We plan on getting back there again during the holidays...probably after Christmas so we can share Christmas with my family first and then go up there.



Catching fish in Montawk, Missouri!


Beautiful cake made by Ben's aunt, Charlotte







I absolutely love my new family. My in-laws are wonderful, my new siser-in-law is a fun loving person who I can't wait to get to know better, her husband also seems very fun (and funny!), and their kids are sooo cute. It's so fun to be an instant Aunt! Probably the sweetest comment I've heard over the past month came from each of the three kids when they said, "We're so glad you're our aunt!" That melted my heart :)

No comments:

Post a Comment