Thursday, October 20, 2011

Honoring Grandma Overly. June 30, 1924-October 20, 2011

What an amazing life. My grandmother, Louise Overly, was born in the roaring 20s, grew up during the Great Depression. She lived through World War II, married and had two beautiful girls, my mom, Jan and her sister, Carol. She was married to my grandfather for 46 years, until his death in 1995 when I was twelve.

A family shot with Grandma (purple jacket) about 4 years ago. One of the last times she was healthy enough to travel and do something with the family.

In 1983, she became a grandmother to my cousin, Amber. Less than a year later, I was born, then in 1985, my cousin Katie came along. Finally, in 1990, a boy, Jefferson, was added to our family tree. Just a few months later in 1991, the last of the grandchildren, my sister, Bree, was born. And thus by 1991 she was the proud grandma of four girls and a single boy, the apple of his grandfather's eye. Twenty-six years after her first grandchild was born, she became a great-grandmother to her only great-grandchild, Aya. I wish she could have met my kids, but I know she'll be looking down on them from heaven.

In the time I got to spend with my grandma, which wasn't nearly as much time as I would have liked since she lived far away, she taught me to play Poker (and how to keep my poker face), and we played countless rounds of Old Maid. She always made her Shrimp Louis salad, just the way my sister liked it, and loved her munchies! She would tease my dad about eating too many snacks but then readily admit that she was a muncher herself.

In 2003, she took Katie and me to the Caribbean on a cruise to celebrate our graduation from high school. She was 79 years old at the time and was still spry and spunky! She and my grandpa, Papa Bob, traveled the world together, visiting Russia, Europe, South America, Africa, and all over North America. It was only when she turned 80 that she decided that she would stop traveling abroad, since her health had begun to decline.

She gave each of her grandkids a college fund to help us pay for college--what an enormous gift of generosity to receive from a grandparent. It has made all of our lives easier, especially in these trying economic times.

The past few years have been hard, but the last few months have been very hard, especially for my mom and her sister. Losing a grandmother is difficult, but I can't imagine losing a mom, and hope I don't have to for many years.

Last night I imagined my grandma being welcomed into God's kingdom by my grandfather, and I hope he was holding her hand from the moment she passed. This morning I got the call at school. She left this world around 10:30am. I'm still not sure I quite understand it myself. Death is a mysterious strange, thing. I know we shall be together again one day, but probably not for a very long time.

Grandma "Weese" (we couldn't pronounce Louise so we called her Grandma "Weese"), was my last living grandparent. The last time I lost a grandmother I was 3. Both my grandfathers died when I was in middle school. It's different losing someone as an adult. This is the first death in my family since I was 12. And it feels different. Somehow it's more sobering. More real. I don't have any more grandparents on this earth. It is a strange feeling, but I know it's a part of life that we all must endure. Right now I think of my family and how much I love them all, but especially I think of Grandma Weese.

Grandma, I love you. Thank you for everything you ever did for me. Thank you for giving me the greatest gift I could ever ask for. My mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment