Sunday, October 9, 2011

My goals

I don't think I've written any goals in a while, partially because I know what I want in my head. But as I tell my students (I'm such a hypocrite), when you write your goals down, they become much more tangible. So what are my goals? I guess I need to figure out which ones are short term and which are long term because that does effect the way I will approach them. I think the problem is that I dwell on the long term goals which I have little control over at this point, but I still want to write them down. So here they are:



Long Term Goals:

1. Find a way to get rid of our condo. Possibilities?
a. Market goes up and we sell it (unlikely)
b. Re-fi and rent it till we can sell it.
c. Rent it and take a big hit every month till we can sell it.

2. Find a new place to live where Ben can get a good job after graduating from his Bio program.
a. NorCal? Yosemite area? It would be so cool if he could work for the National Park.
b. Colorado?
c. Oregon?

3. Save enough money so I can stay home with kids while they're little (before they go to school). I hate the idea of putting my kids in daycare and would love to be a stay at home mom till they start full-time school (around 1st grade). I don't think I'd want to be a full time stay at home mom forever but that would be such a special time with my little ones, I wouldn't want to miss it.

4. Write a book. Yes, this one is just for me. I've always wanted to be a writer. I just need to find my story.

5. Buy a house with a yard in a beautiful neighborhood (beautiful, not necessarily well-to-do).


Short Term Goals:

1. Find fun things to do that don't cost a lot of money while Ben's in school. I'm getting a little stir crazy sitting around the house all the time.

2. Find ways to enjoy the holidays. Ben's not big into the holidays the way I am, so I need to find a way to still make it fun for me because I love everything about them--the food, the smells, the decorations, the family get togethers.

3. Hobby. I probably need to find a hobby. I'd love to write but I'm facing serious writer's block...not sure what I want to write about. Hopefully some Muse will help inspire me soon.

4. Cheaper travel. I can't wait till my birthday because Ben promised me we'd go to Cambria this year. I love that that place. It's like medicine to me...soothes my soul and helps rejuvinate me. Especially if I'm going to teach summer school next year.

5. Organize/decorate our house. I'm tired of looking at piles of junk all the time. It'd be nice if our house looked better. Maybe I wouldn't mind living here so much then...not sure how to do it though since we have way too much stuff for our tiny place.


So what are your goals? I think mine are incredibly mundane. I should probably get some more exciting ones. I guess I'm just frustrated because at 22 when I bought my condo I thought I was doing something to help ensure an easier future for me and my future family. Instead, I've caused a living nightmare. I'll never see the tens of thousands of dollars I put into this place and hopefully I won't end up having to pay money to the bank to have someone take it off our shoulders. It makes me sad that the hard work I put into this has been for nothing. I know I need to get over it, but it just depresses me. I feel like I'm being punished for something I didn't do...but I suppose that's just being whine-y, and I need to get over it. One day it'll all work out. I just hope it's sooner than later.

1 comment:

  1. One important thing to keep in mind, I tell my students and my wife (who tends to be a dreamer), is the difference between a goal and a plan. A goal is what you would like achieve; a plan is the method of achieving it. A goal without a plan is a wish. And we can wish for anything, because it doesn't matter whether it can happen. But a goal with a good plan is on its way to being realized. Make a plan and work it, I say.

    ReplyDelete