Friday, August 26, 2011

First week with students

One week down and many more to go! Overall, my first week with students went well. I love my Creative Writing class--only 16 kids! So far my English classes have been going well too (even though those classes have anywhere from 29-33 kids each!). Can't complain too much though since public school teachers are dealing with 45 in a classroom, which is unbelievable.

I did have quite a sobering experience today, though. I can't give details on a blog, but there are some kids going through some very difficult things this year from their own health to their parents' health. One student in particular is going through something so difficult that I had a hard time keeping it together today after I heard about it. By the time the school day ended and I got in my car, I had held it in as long as I could. I cried all the way home and when I got home I cried again in Ben's arms. This wasn't even a case of me thinking how lucky I am or blessed I am. That's true but I can't even think about my own situation right now. I wish I could just change these kids circumstances and give them a better life. But I can't.

So I realized the only thing I do have power over is the fact that I am in their life and possibly for a reason. In the case of one child, I hope that he will feel safe, loved, and comfortable in my classroom. And while I hope this for all of my students, I pray with all my heart that if I fail at everything else this year, that I won't fail to love this child the way he needs to be loved.

Please pray for me to be a minister of love for all of my students this year. Please pray for me to know what to do and say to children who go through difficult times. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment